A cheese roll was traditionally created by covering a slice of bread in a prepared filling consisting mainly of grated or sliced cheese and then rolling it into a tube shape before toasting. Early recipes for the dish date from the 1930s. Here’s the cucumber cream cheese rolls recipe…
Ingredients for cucumber cream cheese rolls recipe:
- 1 cucumber
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 whole olives
- 4 tbsp yoghurt
- 20 gms cream cheese
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Charred cherry tomato
- Start by slicing the cucumber in half lengthwise. Then, using a mandoline or peeler, slice the cucumber lengthwise into long thin strips. Place the cucumber strips on a kitchen towel to absorb the liquid.
- Chop the parsley, sun-dried tomatoes and olives into smaller pieces. Mix together the yoghurt, cheese and lemon juice in a bowl until blended. Next, add the dill, sun-dried tomatoes and olives to the feta mixture and season with pepper.
- Place one strip of cucumber on a chopping board. Place a teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture onto one end of the cucumber strip. Roll up the cucumber strip and secure. Chill until ready to serve.
- Top it with charred cherry tomatoes. Garnish with fresh scallions. Serve cold.